Escape from Tarkov is an online PvPvE MMO first-person shooter (FPS) game that features RPG elements in the fictional region – Norvinsk of NorthWest Russia. This game is developed by Battlestate Games & was first released in a close Alpha state on Aug 4, 2016. Later it was updated as the closed beta in July 2017.
This game features a post-apocalyptic survival horror game by Battlestate Games that engage hardcore tactical shooting & looting. A war between two Private Military Corporations happens & you can join either Russian created BEAR or corporate-backed USEC.
A short description – Gameplay is a completely story-driven quest that can be done alone or do it with your comrades. The purpose is to raid many locations & unlock the war’s mysteries and various online modes available like scavenger missions and raids.
Some In-Game Features –
- Warfare fractions – Take control of Tarkov by allying with either USEC or BRAR.
- Story Based Gameplay – Different kinds of narrative raids on facilities, do it with your friends or yourself, & keep uncovering the conflict level in Tarkov.
- Elements – Gain experience by leveling up almost 100 types of skills through training. All of those elements will aid survival in repeating actions.
- Clan – Form a group with comrades to hunt down players. Choose either a band of bounty or a trade empire.
- Death is losing everything – Death of anyone is beneficial for another in tarkov because it will feed you lots of gear in a dead character’s backpack.
Escape from Tarkov Game Design
This game is a fresh concept on first-person shooters that combines FPS, MMO & simulating elements uniquely. It produces a masterpiece with vast replay value & considered a true spiritual successor of “DayZ- minus the zombies”. The best part of this game is more enjoyable than its predecessor. The game is designed to find every fight within several minutes instead of waiting for 2 hours for a single bullet.
Graphics – The animations & graphics of this game are top-notch. Especially the character designs, how well they walk & move, looting a cold one, etc. The map design is stunning but a little confusing while playing.
Sound – Stunning sound, I must say. Passing through the leaves while walking, reloading guns, nades exploding, shells hitting the ground while looting that miscellaneous sounds. They are like the best gaming sound in the industry in current years.
Maps – Currently, there are Seven street main maps available with upcoming new ones in the future, each with its ups & downs.
- Factory – Ideal for PvP, looting not recommended.
- Shoreline – Best place for looting, comfortable, memorable map.
- Woods – A good sniping map with good visibility & design.
- Customs – Ideal for beginners, suitable for quests, sniping, camping, looting, etc.
- Reserve – Good for looting, raiders spawn, need optimization.
- Interchange – Fat PMC loots, ideal for close-quarter combat & sniping outside.
- Labs – A scary map.
The intelligence behind the map design is sufficient as you would occasionally get lost.
Escape from Tarkov Gameplay
The mechanism behind this game is a hardcore shooter that consists of a tactical & complex movement system. The pattern is – looking into the map, shooting & taking out a few foes, escape from there.
As the main character, pick the equipment (armor, rig & everything in between). Although there’s a risk associated with equipment in the game is you lose everything.
Killing other players also comes with risk here. There are many alternative routes & elevations available on the map whenever you kill someone, ready to face hostile in different scenarios.
Movements & Combat controls are mapped intelligently, especially for fighting controls. For example, when using Blind Fire Mechanic, hold alt to enter the blind fire mode. Now control the way to fire using WASD keys. These controls are slowly adjustable with a scroll or rapidly changeable from their controls.
Spatial awareness is essential & we put a lot of emphasis on it, including cause & effect. What weapons might other players carry? What kind of armor do they have? Do they have weapons worth getting? In case you are going to fire, a lot of players will know your position, so think ahead of the line & start shooting, thinking what to do next.
Weapons are another prominent attraction here. This game has tons of weapons with modding features. All weapons here feel different, but some feel similar. Remove some parts, add parts you deemed necessary, swap a piece set to suit the needs.
The weapon system is a little complex as there are different kinds of ammo, lots of extra rounds. Playing after some time, you will naturally get used to it.
I particularly enjoyed the unforgiving nature of this gameplay a lot. The thrill of looting while risking the chance of losing everything to another player is fun. Tarkov makes losing a fight harsh & real.
Escape from Tarkov Updates
As this game was released and was in beta state, many updates came by so far. I have seen some updates during my gameplay. Among those updates – 0.12.0 is the most significant patch in their update history.
The 0.12 update contains many changes, especially optimizing setup ping, networking issues & minimizing the lagging problem. It’s quite a large update because, since this update, BattleState Games introduced new skills such as hideout management & crafting. Some new items named “Compass” & “Azimuth” were added. Some new equipment – new armored vests, backpacks, helmets, chest rigs & berets were introduced.
A new location, “Reserve” near a secret military base of RosResev has been added. The area is near the “Factory” map & it contains long-term supplies of resources, medicines, provisions in the event named total nuclear war. Scav boss Glukhar & its squad controls the area with snipers & minefields.
Later on, lastly, they deployed an experimental update on Nov 13, 2020. BattleState Games stated if the changes don’t work accordingly, then they will revert the update. This one focuses on fps drops, freezes & game stability fixing as BattleState Games are working continuously for fixing stutters, game freezes & other problems & giving updates. That’s really Great!
Watching the game moving in the right direction is good news to me. Because I think tarkov promises a lot & it deserves fluid gameplay.
Escape from Tarkov Shortcomings
The game mechanism has some features that became shortcomings. After playing for years, I saw some flaws that might need attention.
- Ammo Balance – Ammunition of different types BT/BS/BP seems to be imbalanced. Also, you might be at a massive disadvantage if not using those cartridges. For example – after shooting 20 rounds of PRS rounds, still, a target survived. Here it needs to be a happy medium between game balance & perceived realism.
- Economy Imbalance – When fighting armored players or targets, weapons like the “Saiga-9” or “Kedr” will be at a severe disadvantage. But they cost a lot, almost the same cost as a Rifle. As they cost upwards of 30K, people don’t tend to use SMG. For using SMG, there should be an incentive given & the primary motivation should be price. Then people will start using these inexpensive SMGs instead of hatchling Guns.
- Sprinting Mechanism – When the character runs at maximum speed, it should automatically be crouched with a sprint or breaking a sneaky wall. When you want to at least jog in a firefight, it could be frustrating when awkwardly stuck into a snail’s pace movement. The scrolling movement speed mechanism should be removed like the traditional FPS design Off/On sneaking mechanism on a hotkey (personal opinion).
- Game Loading – As Servers don’t keep hold up sometimes, loading times are very slow. It takes almost 3 to 4 minutes per load, even after using the SSD. After loading, sometimes I couldn’t do anything like moving items, weapons, or pushing myself. “Lost server Connection” is a common error, but the interesting fact is after restarting the game, the problems all game & game runs smoothly.
- Hackers Everywhere – Tarkov has gotten popular in 2020 a lot & attracted the attention of some of the best FPS players out there. But having no ways of confirming whether someone is legit or having no-kill cams will create false positives in the player’s mind. That’s an exact problem with ‘Cheaters’. We saw a lot of video game companies had faced this problem & gone extinct or destroyed. Moreover, the Cheaters’ accounts need a permanent Ban & there should be an automatic mechanism of the permanent ban when someone is caught doing the cheating.
Escape from Tarkov Review
Tarkov is one of the best multiplayer shooter games that I enjoyed a lot. It gives unique gameplay in a unique setting. It grabbed my attention many years ago, but I stopped playing a lot because of some flaws like networking issues.
The excellent news is BattleState Games are continuously improving the minor issues with continuous updates. So, I think I will go back to the game again & hope this game will attract every online FPS player because of its creativity, uniqueness.